A burger but not as we know it, loco moco is a classic Hawaiian lunch dish. Traditionally the burger patty crowns a mountain of rice, with plenty of rich gravy and a fried egg, but variations include teriyaki chicken, Spam, prawns and bacon. We've lightened ours up a little by subbing a tangy sesame dressing for the gravy, and added a crunchy slaw for texture.
- 500 gm coarsely minced pork
- 15 gm panko crumbs
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced, plus extra to serve
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 2 tsp roasted sesame seeds, plus extra to serve
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 4 eggs
- Steamed jasmine rice, coriander sprigs and lime cheeks, to serve
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp finely grated ginger
- 1 small garlic clove, finely grated
- 200 gm cabbage, shaved on a mandolin
- 100 gm pineapple, diced
- 1Combine pork, panko crumbs, spring onion and garlic in a bowl, season to taste and mix well with your hands. Mix in tamari and sesame seeds, divide evenly into 4 and shape into 1cm-thick patties. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to rest.
- 2For sesame dressing, shake ingredients in a jar to combine and season to taste.
- 3For pineapple slaw, combine ingredients in a bowl, drizzle with a little sesame dressing and toss lightly to combine.
- 4Heat a splash of oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add pork burger patties and fry, turning once, until browned and cooked through (2-3 minutes each side). Wipe out pan with paper towels, add another splash of oil and heat over medium-high heat, then fry eggs until cooked to your liking (3-4 minutes for soft yolks).
- 5Serve patties on top of steamed rice, top with fried eggs and pineapple slaw, drizzle with sesame dressing, scatter with sesame seeds, spring onion and coriander, and serve with lime.
Drink Suggestion: Cloudy, sherbety young pét-nat sparkling. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesBeef koftas with green couscous and pistachio nutsYesterday 12:00am