Enjoying the pick of the season is a cinch - a simple fruit salad lifted with a zingy syrup made in a flash ends any meal on a high note.
- 18 fresh lychees, peeled and pitted
- 1 young coconut, cracked open, juice reserved for syrup and flesh cut into small pieces
- 1 large mango, cheeks removed and thinly sliced
- 500 ml lemon gelato (see note)
- 140 ml coconut water (reserved from coconut)
- 140 gm white sugar
- Juice and finely grated rind of 1 juicy lime
- 1For lime-coconut syrup, bring coconut water and sugar to the boil in a saucepan, stirring to dissolve sugar (if you don't have enough coconut water, top up with water). Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl placed over ice and stir occasionally until chilled, then add lime juice and rind.
- 2Divide fruit among chilled serving bowls, drizzle with a little syrup to taste, then top with a scoop of sorbet and serve.
Note You'll find lemon gelato at a gelateria such as Gelato Messina (we also love the coconut-pandan), or select delicatessens.