- 2 stalks of lemongrass, bruised and coarsely chopped
- 10 cm piece of ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 16 lychees, peeled, stones removed, coarsely chopped
- 150 gm raw caster sugar
- 3½ leaves of gelatine (titanium strength), soaked in cold water
- 60 ml green ginger wine (¼ cup)
- 150 gm pineapple, finely diced
- To serve: small mint leaves
- 1Combine lemongrass, ginger, half the lychees and 1 litre water in a saucepan over medium-high heat, bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer until reduced to 2½ cups (about 45 minutes), then strain into a clean pan, discarding solids.
- 2Add sugar to infused liquid, stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves, then bring to the boil and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, squeeze excess water from gelatine, add to pan and stir until gelatine dissolves. Add ginger wine and stir to combine, then pour into six 1/3 cup-capacity fluted moulds and refrigerate until set (about 4 hours).
- 3To serve, dip jelly moulds briefly in hot water and turn onto plates. Combine pineapple, remaining lychees and mint leaves in a bowl and serve alongside jellies.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsWhere to eat, sleep and visit in Melbourne right nowYesterday 8:00pm