This is no ordinary macaroni and cheese. It contains four of the richest Italian cheeses for an authentic, robust flavour.
- 300 gm dried maccheroni
- 100 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 100 gm mild pancetta, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 500 ml pouring cream (2 cups)
- 100 gm each crumbled Taleggio and Fontina
- 100 gm each grated pecorino pepato and parmesan, plus extra to serve
- ¾ cup coarse white breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1Preheat oven to 190C. Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until al dente (5-10 minutes). Drain, refresh under cold running water and set aside.
- 2Meanwhile, heat butter in a saucepan over medium heat, add pancetta, onion and garlic and sauté until tender (8-10 minutes), set aside.
- 3Combine pasta, pancetta mixture, cream and cheeses in a bowl and season to taste. Transfer to a 1.8 litre-capacity baking dish, top with breadcrumbs, parsley and extra parmesan and bake until golden and bubbling (30-40 minutes). Serve hot.