This zingy mango drink laden with tapioca pearls is pure summertime in a glass - just add a dash of your favourite hooch for a party-time kick to close any meal.
- 300 gm boba pearls (see note)
- 3 mangoes, coarsely diced
Kaffir lime syrup
- 200 gm caster sugar
- 8 kaffir lime leaves, finely sliced
- 1For kaffir lime syrup, stir sugar and 250ml water in a saucepan over high heat until sugar dissolves, then stir occasionally until syrup reaches 121C on a sugar thermometer (8-10 minutes). Remove from heat, add lime juice and half the kaffir lime leaves and stir to combine.
- 2Boil boba pearls in a large saucepan of water until they float to the surface (4-5 minutes), then reduce heat to very low, cover and cook until tender on the outside with a slightly firm centre (2-3 minutes). Drain and add boba pearls to kaffir lime syrup and refrigerate to cool.
- 3Blend two-thirds of the mango with remaining kaffir lime leaves, lime juice and 3 cups of ice in a blender until smooth.
- 4To serve, divide boba pearls and a little syrup among chilled serving glasses, top with mango smoothie and remaining mango pieces, then drizzle with remaining kaffir lime syrup. Serve straightaway and super-cold.
Note Boba pearls, large tapioca pearls, are available at Asian supermarkets.