If the thought of baking meringues is a bridge too far in the summer heat, by all means buy them in; they're available from many supermarkets. It's even better if you happen to have a local bakery that makes them.
- 3 mangoes, cut into wedges
- 750 gm crème fraîche, well chilled
- 250 ml thickened cream (1 cup)
- 75 gm pure icing sugar, sieved
- 140 gm eggwhite
- 140 gm raw caster sugar
- 140 gm pure icing sugar, sieved
- 3 tsp cornflour
- 1For lime meringues, preheat oven to 100C. Whisk eggwhite and a pinch of salt in an electric mixer until soft peaks form (2-3 minutes). Whisking continuously, gradually add sugar until thick and glossy (2-3 minutes). Fold in icing sugar and cornflour to combine, then fold in rind and spoon into large mounds on baking trays lined with baking paper. Bake until crisp but not coloured (1-1¼ hours), turn off oven and cool completely. Store in an airtight container until required.
- 2Process half a mango and juices in a food processor until very smooth and set aside. Thinly slice remaining mangoes and set aside to serve. Whisk crème fraîche, cream, sugar and vanilla in an electric mixer to soft peaks (3-4 minutes), fold in passionfruit pulp to combine, then fold in mango purée to form a ripple effect. Layer mango and passionfruit cream in serving bowls with crushed meringue, sliced mango and extra passionfruit. Serve topped with mango slices and passionfruit pulp.