We've made a subtly salty caramel ice-cream, but other flavours would be most welcome here - coconut, caramel or vanilla would all work well. Add whatever sundae-style embellishments you fancy; chopped nuts or shredded coconut are our picks for extra texture.
- 2 mangoes, flesh cut into wedges
- ½ pineapple, diced
- 2 bananas, thickly sliced
- 330 gm caster sugar (1½ cups)
- 40 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 750 ml cream (3 cups)
- 250 ml milk (1 cup)
- 1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
- 8 egg yolks
- 3 mangoes, flesh diced
- 50 ml lime juice
- 50 ml gin
- 220 gm caster sugar (1 cup)
- 1For salted-caramel ice-cream, stir 280gm sugar and 60ml water in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil, cook until dark caramel (5-6 minutes), then remove from heat. Add butter, 125ml water and 1 tsp sea salt (take care, hot caramel will spit), stir to combine, then add cream, milk, and vanilla bean and seeds. Whisk over medium heat and bring to the simmer. Whisk yolks and remaining sugar in a bowl until pale (4-5 minutes), pour caramel mixture in, whisking to combine, then return to pan and stir continuously over medium heat until mixture thickly coats the back of a spoon (5-6 minutes). Strain into a bowl and leave to cool, whisking occasionally, then refrigerate to chill. Churn in an ice-cream machine, then freeze in a sealed container until required. Makes about 1.5 litres.
- 2For mango-caramel syrup, process mango, lime juice and gin in a food processor or blender until smooth, then set aside. Stir sugar, vanilla seeds and 60ml water in a saucepan over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves, bring to the boil and cook until dark caramel (5-6 minutes). Remove from heat, carefully add 100ml water (take care, hot caramel will spit), then return to heat and stir. Add mango purée and stir to just combine, remove from heat, strain into a bowl and refrigerate to chill.
- 3Combine mango, pineapple and banana in a bowl with lime juice and gin to taste. Stand to macerate for 15 minutes. Divide among serving bowls, then coarsely crumble pieces of sponge cake over the top, drizzle with gin to taste. Top with scoops of ice-cream and serve drizzled with mango-caramel sauce and sprinkled with chopped candied nuts.