- 24 (about 1½kg) large green king prawns
- 4 radishes, thinly shaved
- 3 baby fennel bulbs, thinly shaved
- 1 frillice lettuce (see note), leaves separated and washed
- 2 egg yolks
- 25 ml lemon juice
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ small garlic clove, finely chopped
- 185 ml (¾ cup) olive oil
- 1¼ tbsp tomato sauce
- 2 tsp brandy, or to taste
- 1½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp double cream
- 4 dashes Tabasco, or to taste
- 1Bring a large saucepan of heavily salted water to the boil. Add prawns and cook until just cooked through (4-4½ minutes). Drain, set aside to cool, then peel, leaving tails intact, and refrigerate until required.
- 2Meanwhile, for Marie-Rose sauce, process egg yolks, lemon juice, mustard and garlic in a food processor until smooth. With motor running, gradually add olive oil in a thin steady stream until thick and incorporated (see note). Add remaining ingredients, season to taste and process to combine. Makes about 250ml.
- 3Line serving bowls with lettuce. Toss prawns, radish and fennel in a large bowl and divide among serving bowls. Serve immediately with lemon wedges and Marie-Rose sauce to the side.
Note Frillice lettuce is a type of mignonette lettuce with frilly edges. Substitute with another crisp-leaf lettuce such as baby cos or iceberg. You can substitute good-quality store-bought mayonnaise in the sauce.
Drink Suggestion: Medium-dry riesling. Drink suggestion by Max Allen