Piadina is an Italian flatbread from the Romagna region traditionally cooked on a testo or chargrill pan. You’ll need to start this recipe a day ahead.
- 1 large purple eggplant, thinly sliced lengthways
- 60 ml olive oil (¼ cup)
- 30 ml lemon juice
- 30 ml red wine vinegar
- 25 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- ½ cup (loosely packed) oregano leaves
- 2 (about 200gm each) buffalo mozzarella, coarsely torn
- To serve: basil leaves and wild rocket
- 30 ml olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 1 tsp dry yeast
- 200 gm plain flour
- 70 gm semolina
- 1Lightly brush both sides of eggplant slices with a little olive oil and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Heat a large chargrill pan or barbecue over high heat and cook eggplant, in batches, until golden and tender (1-2 minutes on each side). Transfer to a bowl, add lemon juice, vinegar, extra-virgin olive oil, garlic, oregano and remaining olive oil and stir to combine. Season generously to taste, then transfer to a container and refrigerate overnight or for up to a week. Bring to room temperature and drain (reserving marinade) before using.
- 2For piadina dough, combine 180ml (¾ cup) warm water, oil and yeast in a bowl, stirring to dissolve yeast. Combine flour, semolina and 1½ tsp sea salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook and mix on low speed to combine. Add yeast mixture in a steady stream, mixing to combine, increase to medium speed and knead until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes). Transfer to a lightly oiled bowl, turn to coat, cover with plastic wrap and stand in a warm place until doubled in size (about 2 hours). Knock back dough, divide into 6 even pieces and roll each piece into a ball on a lightly floured surface. Heat a large chargrill pan or barbecue over medium-high heat. Roll each ball of dough into a 2mm-thick rectangle (to fit the size of your chargrill plate or barbecue) and brush both sides of each piece with oil. Cook one at a time until lightly golden (2-3 minutes on each side). Transfer to a platter, scatter with drained eggplant, mozzarella, basil and rocket, drizzle with reserved marinade, season to taste and serve.