- 200 gm soft unsalted butter
- 200 gm light muscovado sugar or light brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 orange rinds, finely grated
- 60 gm glacé ginger, coarsely chopped
- 200 gm self-raising flour
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 115 gm orange marmalade (1/3 cup)
- 5 egg yolks
- 125 gm caster sugar
- 500 ml milk (2 cups)
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- 1For custard, whisk egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until thick and pale. Heat milk and vanilla bean and seeds in a saucepan over medium heat until it just comes to the boil. Pour milk mixture over yolk mixture, whisking to combine, then return to a clean saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring continuously, for 5 minutes or until custard coats the back of a wooden spoon, then strain through a fine sieve into a bowl sitting over ice. Cool, then refrigerate until needed. Makes 2½ cups.
- 2Preheat oven to 180C. Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until pale and creamy, then add eggs, beating well after each addition. Add rind and glacé ginger, then gradually sift flour and ground ginger over egg mixture and fold to combine.
- 3Divide marmalade among the bases of 8 lightly buttered ½ cup-capacity metal dariole moulds. Divide batter among moulds, cover each mould with a piece of baking paper (folded with a pleat in the middle to let the pudding rise during steaming) and secure with kitchen twine or a rubber band. Place in a roasting pan, pour in enough boiling water to come halfway up sides of moulds and bake for 30 minutes or until cooked through when tested with a skewer. Remove from water, stand for 5 minutes, turn onto serving plates and serve with custard.
Whether it's ginger marmalade or confit lemon, the light-as-a-feather steamed butter milk puddings on offer here are as good as they get. 6 Kepos St, East Redfern, NSW, (02) 9698 6000.
Chef Graham Sutherland does both savoury and sweet versions but our pick is the apple and walnut pudding served with trad English custard and toffeed apples. 91 Cardigan St, Carlton, Vic, (03) 9347 4666.
WHERE TO TRY IT
Strangers with Candy