- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 4 lemons
- 2 tbsp each coarsely chopped tarragon, thyme and flat-leaf parsley
- 200 gm mascarpone
- 6 spatchcock, rinsed and patted dry with absorbent paper
- For drizzling: olive oil
- 250 ml chicken stock (1 cup)
Roast carrot and lentil salad
- 90 ml olive oil
- 20 ml red wine vinegar
- Finely grated rind and juice of 1½ lemons
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 bunches Dutch carrots, scrubbed
- 250 gm small green lentils
- 1 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Pound garlic and ½ tsp sea salt in a mortar and pestle to a coarse paste. Finely grate rind of 2 lemons (reserve lemons), add to salt mixture with herbs and pound to a fine paste. Stir in mascarpone, season to taste and set aside.
- 2Gently separate skin from breasts and legs of each spatchcock by sliding your finger carefully between them, taking care not to tear skin. Push 1½ tbsp mascarpone mixture under skin of each spatchcock (reserve remaining mixture) and spread evenly under skin.
- 3Coarsely chop grated lemons and stuff into spatchcock cavities. Truss with kitchen string, place in a roasting pan and drizzle with oil. Cut remaining lemons into wedges, squeeze juice over spatchcock and add wedges to pan. Add stock and roast, basting occasionally, until browned and cooked through (30-35 minutes).
- 4Meanwhile, for roast carrot and lentil salad, combine oil, vinegar, lemon rind, juice and garlic in a bowl and season to taste. Spread carrots on an oven tray lined with baking paper, drizzle with a little oil mixture, season to taste and roast until browned and tender (25-30 minutes). Cook lentils in a large saucepan of boiling water until tender (20-25 minutes), drain and add roast carrots, parsley and remaining oil mixture. Season to taste and keep warm.
- 5Remove spatchcock from roasting pan and cover with foil to keep warm. Boil pan juices over high heat until reduced by half (4-5 minutes). Whisk in remaining mascarpone mixture, season to taste and serve spooned over mascarpone-roasted spatchcock with roast carrot and lentil salad.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsThe best places to visit in Queenstown, New ZealandYesterday 2:30am