This meat loaf goes perfectly with bread and butter pickles, a green salad and English mustard.
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 350 gm minced pork
- 350 gm minced veal
- 1 thick slice ciabatta bread, soaked in cold water, crumbled
- ½ cup loosely packed flat-leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1 free-range egg, lightly beaten
- 3 hard-boiled eggs
- 20 thin pancetta slices (about 50 gm)
- 4 vine-ripened tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 sprig thyme
- 60 ml extra-virgin olive oil (1/3 cup)
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- To serve: green salad, bread and butter pickles and English mustard
- 1To make tomato salsa, preheat oven to 180C. Place tomatoes, garlic and thyme on a baking tray. Season generously with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and drizzle with half the olive oil. Roast for 35-40 minutes. Cool, then transfer tomatoes and garlic to a chopping board and roughly chop. Transfer to a bowl, adjust seasoning, add red wine vinegar and remaining olive oil and combine well.
- 2To make meat loaf, preheat oven to 200C. Melt butter and olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and celery and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes until softened. Add Worcestershire sauce and cook, stirring, for I-2 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Add pork, veal, bread, parsley and egg and season generously with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mix to combine with your hands.
- 3Place pancetta slices, overlapping, in a 5-cup terrine mould. Place half the meat loaf mixture in the mould and press down. Add eggs and cover with remaining meat loaf mixture. Place mould in a baking tray. Pour boiling water into the tray so that it comes halfway up the sides of the mould.
- 4Bake in a preheated oven at 200C for 50 minutes or until a meat thermometer registers 68C when inserted in the middle. Remove from oven and allow to cool, covered with foil, for 5 minutes. Serve either hot or cold with tomato salsa, green salad, bread and butter pickles and English mustard.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Hotel AwardsAustralia's Hotel of the Year for 2018 is revealedYesterday 10:00pm