- 4 yellow or red banana capsicum
- 4 long red chillies
- 1 garlic head, halved horizontally
- 90 ml olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2 tsp each ground cumin and ground coriander
- 1.2 kg corn kernels (from about 8 cobs, cobs reserved)
- 1 litre (4 cups) chicken stock
- 2 golden shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp lime juice, or to taste
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 avocados, coarsely chopped
- 120 gm cherry tomatoes (about ½ punnet), quartered
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup coarsely chopped coriander
- 1Preheat a grill to high. Place capsicum, chilli and garlic, cut-side up, on a baking tray, drizzle with 20ml oil. Grill until starting to blacken (4-5 minutes for capsicum and chilli; 8-10 minutes for garlic), turn and drizzle with 20ml oil and grill until blackened (4-5 minutes for capsicum and chilli; 6-8 minutes for garlic). When cool enough to handle, squeeze garlic from skins, finely chop, set aside. Peel capsicum and chilli, coarsely chop flesh, set aside.
- 2Heat remaining oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion and celery, sauté until very tender (5-6 minutes). Add spices, sauté until fragrant (1 minute), then add corn (reserve 2 cups), reserved corn cobs, and grilled garlic, capsicum and chilli, stir to combine. Add stock and 250ml water, bring to the boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer until corn is tender (15-20 minutes). Discard cobs, process mixture in a food processor until very smooth, then cool to room temperature.
- 3Meanwhile, cook reserved corn in boiling salted water until tender (4-5 minutes), drain, add to puréed soup and season to taste.
- 4Meanwhile, for crushed avocado, combine shallot, lime juice and garlic in a bowl, stand until shallot is tender (4-5 minutes). Add avocado, lightly crush with a fork, then stir in tomato, olive oil and coriander and season to taste. Serve dolloped into corn soup.
Drink Suggestion: Fruity young rosé. Drink suggestion by Max Allen