Finger buns are a childhood favourite of ours. One GT staffer admitted to buying and scoffing three at a time when they were sold at the school canteen. These mini versions make doing just that a much more guilt-free proposition.
- 375 ml warm milk (1½ cups)
- 60 gm caster sugar
- 14 gm dried yeast (2 sachets)
- 600 gm plain flour (4 cups)
- 70 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- Finely grated rind of ½ lemon
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 70 gm sultanas
- 40 gm currants
- 80 gm caster sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 180 gm pure icing sugar, sieved
- 1 tbsp milk
- Pink food colouring
- 1Preheat oven to 200C. Whisk milk, sugar and yeast in a bowl to combine and set aside until foamy (3-4 minutes). Combine flour, butter, lemon rind and a good pinch of salt in a separate bowl and rub with your fingers until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Stir in yeast mixture, egg, sultanas and currants to form a soft dough, then cover and stand in a warm place until doubled in size (40-45 minutes).
- 2Pinch off golf ball-sized pieces of dough and roll on a work surface into 6cm-7cm cylinders. Place on baking trays lined with baking paper, leaving room between for buns to expand. Cover and stand until risen by about half (10-15 minutes). Bake, swapping and turning trays partway through cooking, until golden brown and cooked through (10-12 minutes).
- 3Meanwhile, for sticky glaze, stir sugar, lemon juice and 60ml water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil, set aside to cool, then brush glaze over hot buns and set aside to cool.
- 4For pink icing, stir icing sugar and milk in a bowl until smooth, adding a little extra milk if necessary to reach a spreadable consistency. Tint with a little pink food colouring, then pipe or spread on finger buns. Stand until set (about 10 minutes), then serve. These buns are best eaten on the day they’re made.
Drink Suggestion: Pink moscato Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm