We've made these classic Juleps in tumblers, but real Julep enthusiasts should invest in metal Julep beakers as they prevent the ice from melting too quickly and diluting the drink.
- 80 gm caster sugar
- 1 cup mint, plus extra sprigs to serve (firmly packed)
- To serve: crushed ice
- 240 ml bourbon, such as Maker’s Mark
- To serve: bitters
- 1Bring sugar and 80ml water to the simmer in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat, cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until chilled.
- 2Bruise mint lightly with your fingers, then place in four chilled tumblers. Lightly swirl around with a muddling stick, set aside.
- 3Place ice in tumblers, piling high above the rims.
- 4Pour sugar syrup over ice, dividing among tumblers, then divide bourbon among drinks. Garnish with a large sprig of mint and serve with a drop or two of bitters.