You'll need to begin this recipe a day ahead.
- 125 gm white miso paste
- 80 ml mirin (1/3 cup)
- 30 gm caster sugar
- 500 gm piece of beef fillet
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 400 gm sushi rice
- 90 ml brown rice vinegar
- 15 gm caster sugar
- 1½ tbsp roasted sesame seeds
- 1For sesame rice, rinse rice in a coarse sieve under cold running water, stirring occasionally to remove excess starch, until water runs clear (5-10 minutes). Stand to dry slightly (15 minutes), then combine in a saucepan with 750ml water, cover and bring to the boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and cook, without uncovering, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, remove lid, cover with a tea towel, replace lid and stand for 10 minutes, then spread on a non-reactive tray. Stir vinegar, sugar and 2 tsp sea salt in a small saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves, then drizzle evenly over rice. Mix gently with a flat wooden spoon to combine, then mix in sesame seeds and press into a 20cm square cake tin lined with plastic wrap. Cover with a piece of baking paper, then with a piece
of cardboard cut to fit inside tin. Weight with food cans and refrigerate overnight. Sesame rice will keep for 3 days.
- 2Combine miso, mirin and sugar in a small saucepan, and stir over medium heat until thickened and lightly caramelised (4-5 minutes). Cool completely, brush on beef fillet, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate to cure (2 hours).
- 3Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat and sear beef on all sides until browned (2-3 minutes). Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate until completely chilled (3 hours-overnight). Beef will keep refrigerated for 3 days.
- 4To serve, cut sesame rice into squares. Thinly slice beef and arrange on rice with pickled ginger, spring onion and sesame seeds.