Tomatoes are at their optimum right now, and using a colourful assortment is a treat for the eyes.
- 3 red capsicum
- 1.2 kg assorted tomatoes, such as vine-ripened, green, ox heart, grape, cherry, kumato
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 golden shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 2 tsp sumac
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 bunch each coriander, parsley and mint, leaves torn
- 1Grill capsicum over a low open flame (see note) until blackened, turning occasionally (20-30 minutes). Transfer to a heatproof bowl, cover with plastic wrap and stand until cooled (1 hour), then peel, coarsely chop and set aside.
- 2Cut large tomatoes into wedges, halve smaller ones and combine in a bowl. Add olive oil, shallot, lemon juice, sumac and garlic, season to taste and toss to combine. Stir through capsicum and herbs and serve with grilled flatbread to the side and crumbled feta, if desired.
Note Use a gas burner on a low heat or roast capsicum in a baking dish at 200C, turning occasionally, for 20-30 minutes.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMade in India: the designers and makers of BengaluruYesterday 4:59am