- 400 gm baby carrots, trimmed
- 600 gm baby new potatoes
- 8 spring onions (200gm), trimmed
- 250 ml (1 cup) chicken stock
- 1.5 kg lamb shoulder
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp each ground cinnamon, ginger and cumin
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1Combine carrots, potatoes, spring onions and stock in a 5-litre (20-cup) slow-cooker. Score lamb all over at 2.5cm intervals. Combine honey, oil, garlic, fennel and spices in a small bowl. Rub honey mixture all over lamb, then place meat on top of vegetables. Cook, covered, over low heat for 8 hours.
- 2Coarsely shred or slice lamb and serve with vegetables and some cooking liquid poured over, with steamed green beans.
Note Recipes taken from The Australian Women's Weekly Slow Cooker 4 ($12.95) published by Bauer Media Group, available at selected newsagents and supermarkets. These recipes have been reproduced with minor GT style changes.OVEN VERSION
Prep + cook time 4 hours
1 Preheat oven to 180°C.
2 Score lamb all over at 2.5cm intervals. Combine honey, oil, garlic, fennel seeds and spices in a small bowl. Rub honey mixture all over lamb. Cook lamb in a heated and oiled large flameproof baking dish over high heat until browned all over. Remove lamb from dish.
3 Add carrots, potatoes, onions and stock to dish. Place lamb on top of vegetables and bring to the boil.
4 Cover dish, transfer to oven and cook for 3½ hours until lamb is very tender.
5 Coarsely shred or slice lamb and serve with vegetables and green beans and drizzle with some of the cooking liquid.