A boozy, fruity trifle is a classic way to end a Christmas feast, and this one is surprisingly simple to make. Sparkling moscato is transformed into jelly, then topped with dense almond cake and clouds of mascarpone - all that's needed then are slivers of fresh fruit. We've gone for delicate white peach, but a pile of white cherries on top would also work beautifully with these flavours.
- 3 egg yolks
- 75 gm caster sugar
- 500 gm mascarpone
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) milk
- 750 ml sparkling moscato
- 50 gm caster sugar, or to taste
- 8 titanium-strength gelatine leaves, softened in cold water for 5 minutes
- 5 eggwhites
- 130 gm caster sugar
- 150 gm icing sugar
- 120 gm almond meal
- 30 gm plain flour
- 1For moscato jelly, bring moscato, sugar and 250ml water to the boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar, then remove from heat. Squeeze excess water from gelatine and stir into moscato mixture to dissolve. Pour into a wide 2-litre serving bowl and refrigerate until set (3-4 hours).
- 2Meanwhile, for almond cake, preheat oven to 180C, and grease a 22cm x 33cm cake tin and line with baking paper. Whisk eggwhites and a pinch of salt in an electric mixer until soft peaks form (2-3 minutes), then gradually add caster sugar and whisk until glossy (2-3 minutes). Fold icing sugar, almond meal and flour into eggwhite, spoon into cake tin and bake until centre springs back when lightly pressed (20-25 minutes). Cool completely in tin, then cut cake to fit snugly on top of jelly, brush with liqueur and stand to soak (15 minutes). Cake will keep for up to 3 days stored in an airtight container.
- 3Whisk yolks, sugar and 1 tbsp water in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water until thick and mixture holds a trail (5-6 minutes). Remove from heat. Whisk mascarpone and milk in a separate bowl to just combine (don’t over-whisk or the mascarpone will become grainy), fold egg mixture into mascarpone, then pile on top of cake and refrigerate trifle until required (no longer than a couple of hours). Serve topped with sliced white peaches.