- 4 baby fennel bulbs, cut into wedges
- 2 Spanish onions, cut into wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 6 anchovy fillets, torn
- ¼ cup rosemary leaves (loosely packed)
- 80 ml extra-virgin olive oil (1/3 cup)
- 3 baby gem or baby cos lettuce, coarsely chopped
- 1 whole mulloway (head removed to fit pan; 1.2kg), cleaned, fins and tail trimmed
- 1 tsp coarsely crushed fennel seeds
- 1Preheat oven to 220C. Place fennel, onion, garlic, anchovies, half the rosemary and half the oil in a roasting pan, season to taste, then scatter with lettuce and set aside.
- 2Place fish on a board and score skin in a crisscross pattern. Finely chop remaining rosemary and scatter over fish with fennel seeds. Season generously to taste, drizzle with remaining olive oil, then place fish on lettuce and roast until cooked through (30-40 minutes). Serve fish hot with roasted vegetables, aïoli, lemon cheeks and crusty bread.
Drink Suggestion: An Italian white, such as friulano Drink suggestion by Max Allen