The earthiness of mushroom and barley imbue this soup with a wonderfully hearty, rib-sticking quality.
- 60 ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 400 gm Swiss brown mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 litres (8 cups) chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 kg bacon bones
- 100 gm (½ cup) pearl barley, soaked in cold water for 10 minutes, drained
- 30 gm dried porcini mushrooms, soaked in boiling water for 10 minutes
- 1Heat olive oil in a large saucepan, add onion and garlic, sauté over low-medium heat until very soft and beginning to caramelise (8-10 minutes). Add carrot and celery and sauté until tender and caramelised (8-10 minutes). Add mushrooms and sauté until tender (7-8 minutes). Add stock, bones, barley, porcini and soaking liquid, increase heat to high, bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, simmer until meat is tender (2 hours). Remove bones, shred meat (discard bones), return meat to soup, season to taste and serve.
Drink Suggestion: Earthy, spicy grenache. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesBeef koftas with green couscous and pistachio nutsYesterday 12:00am