- 90 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 3 golden shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 500 ml (2 cups) chicken stock
- 150 gm dried split peas, rinsed
- 500 gm frozen peas, defrosted
- 40 ml malt vinegar, or to taste
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1Heat 30gm butter in a saucepan over medium heat, add shallot and garlic, stir occasionally until tender (4-5 minutes). Add stock and dried split peas, bring to the boil, reduce heat to medium, simmer until tender (40-45 minutes). Add peas, simmer until tender (1-2 minutes), add vinegar, season to taste. Transfer solids to a food processor (reserve liquid), add remaining butter, pulse, adding a little reserved liquid, until coarsely puréed.
- 2Dust onion rings in cornflour, shake off excess, season to taste. Heat 1cm oil in a deep frying pan over medium-high heat, add onion, stir occasionally until golden and crisp (1-2 minutes). Remove with a slotted spoon, drain on absorbent paper and serve scatterered over mushy peas.