This is the perfect accompaniment to <a href="/cider_apple_glazed_ham.htm">glazed ham</a> (shown here). Makes about 750ml.
- 1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 330 gm (1½ cups) white sugar
- 60 ml (¼ cup) white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp hot English mustard
- 6 small fresh bay leaves
- 100 gm each dried pears and dried peaches
- 100 gm dried wild figs, softened in boiling water for 20 minutes, drained
- 1Wrap spices in muslin, tie securely with kitchen string and set aside. Combine sugar, vinegar, mustard, 1 tsp sea salt and 125ml water in a saucepan and cook, stirring over medium heat, until sugar dissolves. Add muslin bag and bay leaves and bring to the boil. Cook until reduced to 1½ cups (10-15 minutes). Add dried fruit, return to the boil and cook until fruit is soft and translucent (5-10 minutes). Spoon into a sterilised 1 litre-capacity jar, seal with a lid and invert until cooled to room temperature. Mustard fruits will keep in refrigerator for up to 3 months.