- 400 gm sushi rice, rinsed
- 1 tsp matcha powder (see note), dissolved in 50ml hot water
- 150 gm podded edamame
- 350 gm sashimi-quality skinless ocean trout fillet, diced
- 1 small Lebanese cucumber, thinly sliced on a mandolin
- 2 radishes, trimmed, thinly sliced on a mandolin
- Tobiko (see note) and coriander cress, to serve
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp ruby grapefruit juice
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp finely grated ruby grapefruit rind
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1Place rice, 500ml water and 1 tsp sea salt in a saucepan, bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low, cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook without uncovering for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and stand covered for 10 minutes, then mix in matcha.
- 2For ruby grapefruit-tamari dressing, shake ingredients in a jar to combine.
- 3Cook edamame in a saucepan of boiling salted water until tender (1-2 minutes), then drain, refresh and drain.
- 4Divide warm rice among serving bowls, top with trout, edamame, cucumber and radish, drizzle with dressing to taste, scatter with tobiko and coriander cress and serve.
Matcha powder is available from specialist tea shops, Japanese grocers and health food shops. Tobiko, flying fish roe, is available from select fishmongers. If it’s unavailable, substitute salmon roe.
Drink Suggestion: Pinot noir Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsA year-round travel guide to Austria's western AlpsYesterday 12:00am