- 600 gm ocean trout or salmon, skin removed, diced
- ½ lemon, juice only
- 1 tbsp salted capers, rinsed
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp finely chopped chives
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 quail eggs, each left in half-shell
- 850 gm sebago potatoes, cut into 2cm-thick lengths and soaked in cold water
- 16 baby cornichons
- 1Place ocean trout in a glass or non-reactive bowl. Add mustard powder, lemon juice, capers, shallots, chives and olive oil. Season generously with sea salt and freshly ground white or black pepper. Combine well and refrigerate until ready to use.
- 2For chips, drain potatoes and pat dry with absorbent paper. Heat peanut oil in a deep-fryer or large, deep saucepan to 140C-150C. Add half the potatoes and cook for 6 minutes, or until cooked through. Drain on absorbent paper. Repeat with remaining potatoes, then set aside. When ready to serve, increase oil heat to 180C-190C. Deep-fry chips for 3-5 minutes or until golden and crisp, drain on absorbent paper, season with sea salt.
- 3To serve, spoon tartare mix into a 1 cup mould and unmould onto 4 serving plates. Break quail egg and place half shell on top of each tartare and serve with chips and cornichons.