Madeleine trays come in two sizes: the petits fours size and the larger size, which we've used here. If you have only one madeleine tray, cook the madeleines in batches, wiping the moulds with absorbent paper and brushing them lightly with butter for each batch. You can serve the burnt-honey crème warm or chilled. You'll need to begin this recipe a day ahead.
- 190 gm butter, coarsely chopped, plus extra, melted, for brushing
- 20 gm honey
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- Finely grated rind of ½ orange
- Scraped seeds of ½ vanilla bean or ½ tsp vanilla bean paste
- 210 gm plain flour
- 190 gm caster sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1½ tsp orange-blossom water, or to taste
- 80 gm honey
- 300 ml pouring cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 40 gm caster sugar
- 1Cook butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until light golden (3-4 minutes), remove from heat, stir in honey, lemon rind, orange rind, orange-blossom water and vanilla and cool to room temperature. Meanwhile, whisk flour, sugar and eggs in a bowl until smooth and creamy, then set aside to rest (10 minutes). Gradually add cooled butter mixture, beat until smooth and just combined, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate to rest (overnight).
- 2For burnt-honey crème, cook honey in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until caramelised (2-3 minutes), remove from heat and add cream (be careful as hot honey will spit). Return to heat and whisk to combine, then bring to the simmer. Meanwhile, whisk yolks and sugar in a bowl until sugar dissolves (1-2 minutes). Add cream mixture and whisk to combine. Return mixture to pan, stir continuously over medium heat until mixture coats a spoon thickly (3-4 minutes), strain and set aside until required. Burnt-honey crème can be served warm or chilled.
- 3Preheat oven to 180C. Lightly brush madeleine moulds with extra butter, mopping up any excess that pools in the bases, then spoon in heaped tablespoons of madeleine mixture. Bake until golden around the edges and humped in the middle (8-10 minutes), then remove from trays. Serve madeleines with burnt-honey crème.
This recipe is from the July 2012 issue of .