- 3 quinces, peeled and halved
- 110 gm (½ cup) brown sugar
- 3 thinly peeled strips orange rind
- 120 ml orange muscat (see note)
- 600 ml milk
- 300 ml pouring cream
- 6 egg yolks
- 160 gm raw caster sugar
- 140 gm (1 cup) toasted macadamias, coarsely chopped
- 1For macadamia ice-cream, bring milk and cream to the boil in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk yolks and sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy. While whisking, pour milk mixture over, return to pan and stir continuously over low heat until mixture thickly coats the back of a spoon (10-15 minutes). Place over ice and stir occasionally until chilled. Churn in an ice-cream machine and freeze until required.
- 2Preheat oven to 180C. Steam quince over a saucepan of boiling water until tender (40-50 minutes). Drain, then arrange in a baking dish lined with baking paper that they fit in snugly, scatter with sugar and orange rind, and pour orange muscat over, then bake, basting regularly, until quince are golden (20-30 minutes). Serve hot with macadamia ice-cream and drizzled with pan syrup.