You'll need to begin this recipe a day ahead.
- 80 ml milk (1/3 cup)
- 1 tsp dried yeast
- 150 gm softened butter
- 70 gm brown sugar
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- Juice of ½ orange, finely grated rind of 1
- 400 gm plain flour (2 2/3 cups)
- 250 gm strawberries (about 1 punnet), hulled and thickly sliced
- For brushing: eggwash
- 2 tbsp demerara sugar
Brown sugar labne
- 600 gm thick plain yoghurt
- 120 gm brown sugar
- 1For brown sugar labne, spoon a quarter of the yoghurt into a muslin-lined sieve placed over a deep bowl, scatter with a quarter of the brown sugar and repeat layering until all yoghurt and sugar are used. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight to drain (discard liquid). Brown sugar labne will keep refrigerated in an airtight container for 2 days.
- 2Heat milk in a saucepan over low heat to lukewarm, remove from heat and stir in yeast. Stand in a warm place until foaming (2-3 minutes).
- 3Process butter, brown sugar, egg, orange juice and half the orange rind in a food processor to combine (mixture will look curdled). Add yeast mixture and flour, process to form a soft, almost cake-like dough, then turn onto a well-floured surface and form into a smooth ball. Place in a lightly buttered bowl, cover with plastic wrap and stand in a warm place until risen by half (30-40 minutes).
- 4Preheat oven to 180C. Turn dough onto a piece of baking paper dusted with flour and pat into a 25cm-diameter round with floured hands. Spread one-third of brown sugar labne over dough, leaving a 2cm border, scatter with strawberries and brush edges with eggwash. Combine demerara sugar and remaining orange rind in a bowl, scatter over brioche and bake until golden and cooked through (20-25 minutes). Serve warm or at room temperature with extra brown sugar labne.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Travel NewsNew art collections and shows worth travelling forYesterday 5:58am
- Food NewsGourmet Traveller taste tests McDonald’s Wagyu Beef BurgerYesterday 12:35am