Schiacciata, meaning squashed, is the Italian name for flatbread. This sweet version is based on the Easter specialty schiacciata alla Fiorentina, which is sometimes filled with whipped cream or crema pasticcera or, as we have done, both.
- 220 ml lukewarm milk
- 5 gm dried yeast
- 450 gm (3 cups) plain flour
- 110 gm (1 cup) raw caster sugar
- 60 ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- 70 gm candied orange, diced
- Finely grated rind and juice of 1 orange
- 2 eggs
- To scatter: pearl sugar (optional, see note)
Orange crema pasticcera
- 200 ml milk
- 20 ml orange liqueur, such as Grand Marnier
- Thinly peeled rind and juice of 2 oranges
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 3 egg yolks
- 90 gm raw caster sugar
- 40 gm plain flour
- 250 ml (1 cup) pouring cream
- 1Combine 60ml milk and yeast in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook, cover and stand in a warm place until foamy (4-5 minutes). Add flour, sugar, oil, candied orange, orange rind and juice and remaining milk and knead until a smooth and elastic dough forms (1-2 minutes). Add eggs, knead until smooth (4-5 minutes), cover with a tea towel and stand until doubled in size (1-2 hours). Knock down dough, roll out into a rough 50cm-long rectangle, place on a large oven tray lined with baking paper, stand until doubled in size (30-40 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180C. Brush dough with water, scatter with pearl sugar, bake until risen and golden (20-25 minutes), transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- 3Meanwhile, for orange crema pasticcera, bring milk, liqueur, orange rind, juice, vanilla bean and seeds to the simmer in a wide saucepan over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, whisk yolks and sugar in a separate bowl until sugar dissolves, then whisk in flour. Add milk mixture, whisking continuously to combine, then return to pan. Return to heat, whisk continuously until thick and smooth (1-2 minutes), transfer to a bowl (remove vanilla bean and rind), cover closely with plastic wrap, cool completely. Whisk cream until soft peaks form, fold into cooled crema pasticcera.
- 4To serve, halve schiacciata horizontally, fill with orange crema pasticcera and cut into wedges.
Note Pearl sugar is available from The Essential Ingredient. If unavailable, substitute coarsely crushed sugar cubes.