"Oysters are a perfect food, easy to serve for a dinner party. Whatever you do, don't puncture the flesh of the oysters themselves."
- 1 fennel bulb (about 400gm), plus 1 tbsp finely sliced fronds
- 200 ml rice vinegar
- 40 gm white sugar
- 2 small red chillies, seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 18 unshucked Sydney rock oysters
- 1Finely dice fennel, place in a deep bowl and set aside.
- 2ring vinegar, sugar, chilli and 100ml water to the boil in a saucepan, pour over diced fennel, stand to infuse (2 hours), then add reserved fronds.
- 3Shuck oysters and serve over crushed ice with spicy fennel dressing.
Drink Suggestion: Crisp, lean young Hunter semillon. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Travel NewsNew art collections and shows worth travelling forYesterday 5:58am
- Food NewsGourmet Traveller taste tests McDonald’s Wagyu Beef BurgerYesterday 12:35am