- 6 180gm skirt steaks
- For brushing: extra-virgin olive oil
Red wine butter
- 125 ml veal stock (½ cup)
- 250 ml red wine (1 cup)
- 2 golden shallots, finely chopped
- 125 gm butter, softened
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- ½ lemon, finely grated rind and juice only
- 2 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 3 large sebago potatoes, unpeeled and cut into 1.5cm-thick chips
- For deep-frying: vegetable oil
- 1For red wine butter, simmer stock over medium heat until reduced to 1/3 cup (about 10 minutes). Meanwhile, combine wine and shallot in a separate saucepan and simmer over medium heat until reduced to ½ cup (about 15 minutes). Add stock and simmer until syrupy (4 minutes). Remove from heat, cool, then transfer to a food processor, add rest of ingredients, season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and pulse.
- 2For chips, place potato in a saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Drain, place on absorbent paper and pat dry. Heat oil in a deep-fryer to 180C. Deep-fry chips until golden (5 minutes), then season with salt.
- 3Brush steaks with oil and season. Heat a heavy-based frying pan over medium-high heat, add 2 steaks and cook until brown on both sides and cooked to rare (3 minutes each side). Transfer to a plate, cover with foil and rest in a warm place while you cook remaining steaks. Slice steaks across the grain to 5mm thick and serve with red wine butter and chips.
Drink Suggestion: Big warm-climate cabernet. Drink suggestion by Max Allen