Peaches and maple syrup are a great combination, although you can use whatever fruit is best on the day. You can make the batter ahead; just add the whisked eggwhite at the last minute.
- 175 gm self-raising flour, sieved
- 300 ml buttermilk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 20 gm butter, diced
- 6 peaches, halved
- Caster sugar, for dusting
- 200 gm quark (see note)
- Maple syrup, to serve
- 1For pancake batter, combine flour and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Lightly whisk buttermilk and yolks in a jug to combine, then add to flour and whisk until smooth. Whisk eggwhite in a separate bowl until soft peaks form, then fold into batter.
- 2Heat half the oil and half the butter in a non-stick frying pan to medium-high heat until butter foams. Add 1/3 cup of batter at a time and cook until bubbles appear (2-3 minutes). Flip and cook until pancake is golden and cooked through (2-3 minutes). Keep warm and repeat with remaining oil, butter and batter.
- 3Preheat a grill to high. Place peaches cut-side up on a baking tray lined with foil. Scatter with sugar and grill until golden and bubbling (2-3 minutes).
- 4Serve pancakes warm with peaches, quark and maple syrup.
Note Quark is a soft cheese available from select delicatessens and supermarkets. If it's unavailable substitute ricotta or double cream.
Drink Suggestion: Peachy, medium-sweet riesling. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesBeef koftas with green couscous and pistachio nutsYesterday 12:00am