Mushrooms are like sponges so make sure the oil is very hot before frying them or they'll end up soggy.
- For deep-frying: vegetable oil
- 150 gm (1 cup) seasoned plain flour
- 3 eggs
- 250 ml (1 cup) milk
- 140 gm (2 cups) fresh fine white breadcrumbs
- 100 gm finely grated parmesan
- 800 gm large Swiss brown mushrooms (about 12), thickly sliced
- 2 eggs
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 250 ml (1 cup) each of extra-virgin olive oil and vegetable oil
- 1For aioli, process eggs, juice and garlic in a food processor until light and frothy (1-2 minutes). With motor running, add oils in a thin steady stream until emulsified. Season to taste and refrigerate until required. Makes about 350ml.
- 2Heat vegetable oil to 180C in a deep-fryer or a large deep-sided saucepan. Place flour in a bowl. Whisk eggs and milk together in a separate bowl, set aside. Combine breadcrumbs and parmesan in a separate bowl. Dust each mushroom slice in flour, then dip in eggwash, then coat in breadcrumbs.
- 3Deep-fry mushrooms in batches (be careful; hot oil may spit), turning occasionally until golden (2-3 minutes). Remove, drain on absorbent paper, season to taste, serve hot with aioli.
Drink Suggestion: Sparkling shiraz. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm