Blanched parsley turns this fresh pasta dough a green that remains vibrant when it's cooked. The heat from the cooked pasta is enough to cook the bonito lightly; choose the best sashimi-grade fish you can find.
- 250 gm sashimi-grade bonito or kingfish, very thinly sliced across the grain
- 20 gm salted capers, rinsed
- Finely grated rind and juice of ½ lemon, or to taste
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- To serve: torn rocket and flat-leaf parsley
Parsley pasta dough
- 1½ cups (firmly packed) flat-leaf parsley
- 2 eggs
- 300 gm (2 cups) “00” flour
- 100 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced on a mandolin
- 1For parsley pasta dough, blanch parsley until bright green (10 seconds), drain, refresh under cold running water and squeeze out all excess water. Process parsley in a food processor with eggs until finely chopped, add flour and a generous pinch of salt and process until a dough forms. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, knead until smooth, then wrap in plastic wrap and stand for 1 hour to rest.
- 2Meanwhile, for garlic oil, heat oil and garlic in a small saucepan over low-medium heat to infuse and cook until garlic just starts to turn golden (4-6 minutes). Set aside.
- 3Cut pasta into 4 pieces then, working with a piece at a time (keep remaining pieces covered to prevent them drying out), roll through the widest setting of a pasta machine, lightly dusting with flour if sticking. Fold and roll, dusting lightly with extra flour if necessary, reducing the setting notch by notch until pasta is 2mm thick. Cut into rough ribbons and set aside on a floured tray.
- 4Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until al dente (2-3 minutes), then transfer to a large bowl with tongs. Add garlic oil to taste, bonito, capers, lemon rind and juice and vinegar, toss to combine and season to taste. Scatter with rocket and parsley, toss to combine and serve warm or at room temperature.
Drink Suggestion: Rich, dry orange wine from Friuli. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesBeef koftas with green couscous and pistachio nutsYesterday 12:00am