- 500 gm parsnips (about 2), trimmed, scrubbed
- 500 gm Jerusalem artichokes (about 7), scrubbed
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to serve
- 1 thyme sprig
- 1 tsp butter
- 3 golden shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1.25 litres (5 cups) chicken stock
- 2 tbsp pouring cream, or to taste
- 20 gm (¼ cup) Parmigiano-Reggiano, finely grated, plus extra to serve
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Finely grated rind of ¼ lemon
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Chop parsnip and artichoke into rough 5cm dice, place on an oven tray lined with baking paper, drizzle with half the oil, add thyme, season to taste and roast until golden and tender (35-45 minutes).
- 2Heat butter and remaining oil in a saucepan over low-medium heat, add shallot and garlic, stir occasionally until tender (8 minutes). Add stock, bring to the simmer, add roast vegetables and simmer until tender (10-15 minutes). Remove from heat, remove thyme stalk, add cream, parmesan, lemon juice and rind, blend in a blender until smooth, adding a little water if the soup is too thick. Season to taste, top with extra oil and parmesan to taste and serve hot.
This recipe is from the August 2012 issue of .
Drink Suggestion: Chrismont “La Zona” pinot grigio. Drink suggestion by Shannon Debreceny & Jeff Bennett
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Browse All RecipesArtichoke and salted ricotta tart with salsa verdeYesterday 10:00pm