Mangoes are an Aussie Christmas table must-have. Here they crown a lime-scented pavlova piled high with a feather-light passonfruit curd.
- 150 gm (about 4) eggwhites
- 220 gm (1 cup) caster sugar
- 1½ tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 tsp cornflour
- Finely grated rind of ½ lime, plus extra to serve
- 300 ml thickened cream
- 250 gm crème fraîche
- Thickly sliced mango and passionfruit pulp, to serve
- 150 ml passionfruit juice (see note)
- 6 egg yolks
- 110 gm (½ cup) caster sugar
- ½ titanium-strength gelatine leaf, softened in cold water for 5 minutes
- 90 gm unsalted butter, coarsely chopped, at room temperature
- 1Preheat oven to 150°C. Trace a 20cm-diameter round on a piece of baking paper and place pencil-side down on a lightly oiled oven tray. Whisk eggwhites and a pinch of salt in an electric mixer to soft peaks (4-5 minutes). With motor running, gradually add sugar and whisk until firm and glossy (2-3 minutes). Whisk in vinegar and vanilla, fold in cornflour and rind, and pile onto the tray within the circle, forming peaks and swirls. Place in oven, reduce oven to 120°C, and bake until crisp but not coloured (1½-1¾ hours). Turn off heat and cool completely in oven with door closed (at least 6 hours or overnight). Pavlova will keep in an airtight container for a day.
- 2Meanwhile, for passionfruit curd, whisk passionfruit juice, lime rind and juice, yolks and sugar in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water until thick and pale (10-15 minutes), then remove from heat. Squeeze excess water from gelatine, whisk into passionfruit mixture, then whisk in butter, a little at a time until all incorporated. Refrigerate until chilled and set (3-4 hours). Curd will keep refrigerated in an airtight container for 5 days. Whisk to loosen slightly just before serving.
- 3Whisk cream and crème fraîche to soft peaks in a bowl. Spread passionfruit curd over pavlova, top with cream, sliced mango and passionfruit pulp, scatter with extra lime rind and serve.
To extract passionfruit juice, process pulp in a food processor, then strain. About 12 passionfruit will yield 150ml juice.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Gift Guides9 luxury Father's Day gift ideas for the dapper dadYesterday 11:33pm