You'll need to begin this recipe the day before.
Passionfruit and pineapple ice
- 170 gm caster sugar
- 6 passionfruit, pulp only
- 500 gm pineapple, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp lime juice
Vanilla lime ice-cream
- 400 ml pouring cream
- 2 limes, zested rind and juice only
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 3 egg yolks
- 70 gm caster sugar
- 1Combine sugar and ½ cup of water in a small saucepan. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves, bring to the boil for 1 minute, cool. Process syrup, pulp, pineapple and lime juice until smooth, then push through a sieve. Churn in an ice-cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions, spoon into a plastic wrap-lined 7.5cm x 23cm loaf pan and freeze for 6 hours or until firm.
- 2For ice-cream, combine cream, rind, vanilla bean and seeds in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Whisk yolks, sugar and lime juice in a bowl until thick and pale. Whisk in hot cream mixture, return to pan and stir over low heat until mixture coats the back of a wooden spoon (do not boil). Pour into a bowl placed over ice, cool, then strain through a fine sieve. Churn in an ice-cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions, spoon over ice and freeze for 6 hours or until firm. Turn out of pan, slice thickly and serve.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm