You'll need to begin this recipe the day before.
- 250 gm lychee flesh (about 18)
- 200 gm light palm sugar, finely crushed
- 185 ml coconut cream (¾ cup)
- 80 ml pouring cream (1/3 cup)
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 80 ml passionfruit juice (1/3 cup)
- To serve: peeled lychees
- 1Blend lychees in a food processor until smooth. Push through a fine sieve, discarding solids, and freeze. Scrape into ice crystals using a fork and return to freezer until required.
- 2Combine 100gm palm sugar and ½ cup water in a small saucepan and stir over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves, then bring to the boil and cook for 4-5 minutes or until caramelised. Remove from heat and pour into six ½ cup-capacity ovenproof dariole moulds and set aside.
- 3Preheat oven to 150C. Combine remaining palm sugar, coconut cream and cream in a saucepan and stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves, then bring just to the boil. Whisk eggs, yolks and juice to combine, pour over cream mixture, whisking to combine, then strain into a jug. Pour into prepared moulds and place in a roasting pan. Fill pan halfway up sides of moulds with boiling water, cover pan with foil and bake for 15 minutes or until just set. Remove moulds from water and refrigerate until cold.
- 4To serve, dip mould bases in boiling water, invert onto plates and unmould. Serve with lychee granita and peeled lychees.
Note To make passionfruit juice, blend passionfruit pulp in a food processor to crack seeds, then strain through a fine sieve. Twelve passionfruit yield about 1 cup of juice.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMargaret River travel guide: the best places to eatYesterday 10:48pm