This do-ahead dessert keeps in the freezer for up to a month, making it the perfect stand-by sweet; cut it into portions before freezing and defrost them as required to make things even easier. We've topped ours with tangy passionfruit for a fragrant tropical note, but mango, banana or pineapple would also work well.
- 70 gm desiccated coconut
- 75 gm macadamia nuts, soaked in cold water for 1 hour, drained
- 75 gm cashew nuts, soaked in cold water for 1 hour, drained
- 400 ml coconut cream
- 125 gm coconut oil, melted
- 70 gm rice malt syrup (see note)
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- Passionfruit pulp and finely grated lime rind, to serve
- 75 gm desiccated coconut
- 75 gm macadamia nuts
- 75 gm cashew nuts
- 35 gm coconut crunch (see note)
- 100 gm pitted dates
- 40 gm coconut oil, melted
- 40 gm rice malt syrup
- 1For coconut crust, grease a 20cm x 30cm cake or slice tin and line it with baking paper. Process coconut and nuts in a food processor until finely chopped, add coconut crunch and dates and process until combined. Add coconut oil, rice malt syrup and a pinch of salt, process to combine, then press into the base of the tin and refrigerate until firm (1-2 hours).
- 2Process coconut and nuts in a food processor until finely chopped, then add half the coconut cream and process until smooth. Add coconut oil, rice malt syrup, vanilla and remaining coconut cream, and process until smooth. Spread mixture over crust, smooth top and place in freezer until firm (1-2 hours). Cover and freeze until required. Remove from freezer 15 minutes before serving.
- 3To serve, cut slice with a hot, wet knife into 3cm x 10cm fingers and top with passionfruit pulp and lime rind.
Rice malt syrup is available from health-food shops and select supermarkets. Coconut crunch is air-dried coconut flesh that remains after virgin coconut oil has been extracted. It’s available from select delicatessens and health-food shops; if it’s unavailable, add the same amount of psyllium husk or extra desiccated coconut instead.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesBeef koftas with green couscous and pistachio nutsYesterday 12:00am