You'll need to begin this recipe a day ahead.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 litre chicken or vegetable stock (4 cups)
- 600 ml tomato passata
- 230 gm dried cannellini beans, soaked in cold water overnight, drained
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 230 gm dried ditali (see note)
- To serve: finely grated parmesan, rosemary leaves and extra-virgin olive oil
- 1Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat, add onion, carrot, celery and garlic and sauté until tender (8-10 minutes). Add stock, tomato passata, beans and rosemary and cook until beans are tender (30-40 minutes). Add pasta, season to taste and cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente (5-10 minutes). Serve hot, scattered with parmesan and rosemary leaves and drizzled with extra-virgin olive oil.
Note Ditali is a short tubular pasta available from select delicatessens. If unavailable, substitute any small pasta.