These pork ribs are marinated and slow-cooked in advance, and the potato salad only improves after a day in the fridge. All that's left to do on the day is glaze and heat the ribs.
- 3 kg American-style pork rib racks
- 125 ml apple cider vinegar, plus extra for brushing (½ cup)
- 60 gm molasses
- 40 gm Dijon mustard
Pastrami spice rub
- 2 tbsp black peppercorns
- 2 tbsp white peppercorns
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 3½ tbsp smoked paprika (25gm)
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 kg chat potatoes, halved
- 100 gm sour cream
- 50 gm mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar or a splash of pickling liquid from the pickles
- ½ onion, coarsely grated
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- ½ cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1For pastrami spice rub, crush whole spices and 1 tbsp sea salt with a mortar and pestle, then combine with paprika, cayenne and sugar.
- 2Brush ribs with a little vinegar, rub all over with spice rub, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight to marinate.
- 3Preheat oven to 160°C. Divide ribs between 2 large roasting pans and add 125ml water to each. Cover tightly with foil and roast, swapping trays halfway through cooking, until meat is almost falling from the bone (2-2¼ hours). Cool, and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- 4For potato salad, cover potatoes well with cold salted water in a large saucepan, bring to the boil and cook until tender (10-15 minutes). Drain and return to pan. Combine remaining ingredients except parsley in a bowl, season to taste and add to potatoes. Toss to coat, then refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Bring to room temperature and toss with parsley to serve.
- 5Preheat oven to 200°C. Combine vinegar, molasses and mustard in a bowl and season to taste. Divide ribs between 2 large oven trays lined with baking paper, brush with mustard mixture and roast until browned and warmed through (10-15 minutes). Cut racks into ribs and serve hot with potato salad, rocket and pickles.
Drink Suggestion: Pints of hoppy IPA. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Hotel AwardsAustralia's Hotel of the Year for 2018 is revealedYesterday 10:00pm