Using corned brisket means you can skip the brining that pastrami usually requires. You can buy corned wagyu brisket from select butchers; otherwise substitute regular corned brisket.
- 800 gm piece of corned wagyu brisket
- 3 tbsp coriander seeds
- 2 tbsp each yellow mustard seeds and whole black peppercorns
- 55 gm (¼ cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 cups woodchips, such as apple, soaked in cold water for 1 hour
- To serve: <a href="http://www.gourmettraveller.com.au/seeded-ring-loaf.htm">seeded ring loaf</a> and rocket
- 4 corn cobs, kernels removed
- 180 ml cider vinegar (¾ cup)
- 110 gm caster sugar (½ cup)
- 1 vine-ripened tomato, finely chopped
- ½ Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 2 long red chillies, finely chopped
- 2 tsp each yellow mustard seeds and coriander seeds
- Pinch of ground turmeric
- 400 gm cabbage, thinly shredded on a mandolin
- 1 carrot, cut into julienne
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped (loosely packed)
- 100 gm mayonnaise (1/3 cup)
- 60 gm sour cream (¼ cup)
- 1 tbsp horseradish cream
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1Place brisket in a large container, cover with cold water and soak to remove salt (2 hours). Drain, pat dry with absorbent paper and set aside. Coarsely pound coriander and mustard seeds, and peppercorns in a mortar and pestle, combine with sugar, paprika and 2 tbsp sea salt flakes in a bowl, rub over brisket and refrigerate for flavours to develop (1 hour).
- 2Preheat a charcoal barbecue to low heat and set up for indirect grilling. Add one-quarter of woodchips around coals and leave until smoke appears. Place brisket in barbecue and cook, adding extra woodchips as needed, until brisket is cooked through and 74C on a meat thermometer (2½-3 hours). Set aside to cool, then thinly slice. Pastrami will keep refrigerated for 5 days.
- 3For corn relish, combine ingredients and 2 tsp fine sea salt flakes in a large saucepan over medium heat, bring to the boil and simmer until thickened (20-25 minutes). Pour into sterilised jars. Corn relish will keep refrigerated for 3 days. Makes about 750ml.
- 4For horseradish slaw, combine cabbage, carrot and parsley in a large bowl. Whisk mayonnaise, sour cream, horseradish and lemon juice in a bowl to combine, season to taste, add to cabbage mix and toss to coat.
- 5Serve sliced brisket, horseradish slaw, corn relish and rocket on sliced seeded ring loaf.
This recipe is from the February 2013 issue of .
Drink Suggestion: Tropical-fruity but bitter IPA. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Travel NewsNew art collections and shows worth travelling forYesterday 5:58am
- Food NewsGourmet Traveller taste tests McDonald’s Wagyu Beef BurgerYesterday 12:35am