You'll need to begin this recipe a day ahead.
- 4 eggwhites
- 120 gm raw caster sugar
- 100 gm pure icing sugar
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 400 ml thickened cream
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 100 ml passionfruit pulp (about 3 passionfruit)
- 75 gm liquid glucose
- 150 gm caster sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 500 ml passionfruit pulp (about 20 passionfruit) (2 cups)
- 330 gm raw caster sugar (1½ cups)
- 5½ titanium-strength gelatine leaves, softened in cold water for 5 minutes
- 1For meringue, preheat oven to 100C. Whisk eggwhite and a pinch of salt in an electric mixer until soft peaks form (2-3 minutes), then gradually add caster sugar, whisking continuously, until firm and glossy (1-2 minutes). Sieve icing sugar and cornflour over and fold to combine. Spread the mixture to 1cm thick on 2 oven trays lined with baking paper and bake, swapping trays halfway through cooking, until crisp but not coloured (1-1¼ hours). Cool in oven, then turn out onto a work surface and peel off paper. Break half the meringue into rough shards and store in an airtight container until required. Coarsely crush remaining meringue and set aside.
- 2For pavlova semifreddo, whisk cream and vanilla bean paste in an electric mixer until soft peaks form (2-3 minutes), transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until required. Pulse passionfruit pulp in a food processor until seeds and juice separate, then strain juice into a large saucepan (discard seeds). Add glucose, 125gm caster sugar and 80ml water, bring to the boil over medium-high heat and cook until syrup reaches 118C on a sugar thermometer (3-4 minutes). Meanwhile, whisk yolks in an electric mixer until light and creamy (2-3 minutes). Whisking on medium speed, slowly add passionfruit syrup, increase speed to high and whisk until mixture is thick and cooled to room temperature (2-3 minutes), then fold into whipped cream mixture. Whisk 2 eggwhites (discard remaining) and a pinch of salt in
an electric mixer until soft peaks form (3-4 minutes), then gradually add remaining sugar, whisking continuously, and whisk until thick and glossy (1-2 minutes). Fold into cream mixture, fold in crushed meringue, spoon into a 1.2-litre container and freeze until firm (overnight).
- 3For passionfruit jelly, pulse passionfruit pulp in a food processor until seeds and juice separate, then strain juice into a large saucepan (discard seeds) over medium-high heat. Add sugar and 800ml water and stir until sugar dissolves, then bring to the simmer and cook until well flavoured (15 minutes). Strain through a fine sieve into a clean saucepan. Squeeze gelatine to remove excess water then add to passionfruit mixture. Stir in lime juice then divide among serving bowls and refrigerate until set (overnight).
- 4Top passionfruit jelly with sliced banana, pavlova semifreddo, passionfruit pulp and shards of meringue and serve.
Drink Suggestion: Sherbety pink moscato. Drink suggestion by Max Allen