Rice salad may be old-school, but with plenty of herbs and a tangy lemon dressing, it becomes old-school cool. Cook the rice and toss it with the dressing the night before, and store the vegetable part separately to prevent it being discoloured by the dressing. Toss them together just before serving.
- 350 gm brown rice
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Finely grated rind and juice of 2 lemons, or to taste
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 130 ml olive oil
- 200 gm frozen peas
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, halved, seeds scooped out, thinly sliced
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup each coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley, mint and dill
- 1Cook rice in a saucepan of boiling salted water until tender (25-30 minutes), then drain and rinse under cold running water, drain well and transfer to a large bowl.
- 2Combine garlic, and lemon rind and juice in a bowl and stand until garlic softens (1-2 minutes). Whisk in vinegar and oil, season generously to taste, then pour dressing over rice, stir to coat well, cover and refrigerate until required.
- 3Blanch peas until bright green (1-2 minutes), drain and refresh, then drain well. Combine in a container with cucumber, spring onion, parsley, mint and dill, cover and refrigerate until required.
- 4Just before serving, toss pea mixture through rice mixture, adjust seasoning and serve.