- 50 gm butter
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 ham hock, cut into 3 pieces (ask your butcher to do this) (about 1.2kg)
- 500 gm split green peas (see note)
- To serve: extra-virgin olive oil
- To serve: crusty wholegrain bread
- 1Heat butter in a large saucepan over low heat, add onion and sauté for 12 minutes or until caramelised. Add ham hock and 3 litres cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 1½ hours. Remove ham hock and set aside.
- 2Add split green peas to soup and simmer for 2 hours or until peas have dissolved and soup thickened. Season to taste with sea salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- 3Remove meat from hock, coarsely chop and add to soup. Ladle soup into bowls, drizzle with olive oil and serve with bread.
Note Split green peas are available from health food stores and select supermarkets.