These bite-sized bundles flecked with sweet peas and creamy ricotta are as light and fluffy as you could wish for. We guarantee you'll be going back for more.
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 2 eggs
- 250 gm firm ricotta
- 75 gm (½ cup) plain flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 200 gm frozen peas, defrosted and coarsely crushed
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped mint
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon, plus lemon wedges to serve
- Aïoli, to serve
- 1Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 180°C. Beat eggs and 200gm ricotta in a bowl until smooth, then stir in flour and baking powder and season generously. Stir in peas, mint, lemon rind and remaining ricotta, trying to keep small chunks of ricotta throughout the batter.
- 2Carefully add heaped tablespoonfuls of batter to the oil in batches (hot oil will spit) and fry until golden brown; the fritters will drop to the bottom of the oil but will puff up and rise to the surface as they cook (3-4 minutes). Remove with a slotted spoon, drain briefly on paper towels, season to taste and serve hot with aïoli and lemon wedges.
Drink Suggestion: Classic Venetian Spritz, or a fragrant, hoppy ale. Drink suggestion by Max Allen.