The peach purée for this punch can be made a day ahead - add the other ingredients just before serving. For the best flavour, use very ripe peaches and make sure the boozy peach nectar is well-chilled. Serve the punch with extra sliced peaches macerated in rye whiskey for an added kick.
- 6 ripe yellow peaches (1.2kg), crosses scored on the bases
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 750 ml (3 cups) ginger beer
- 300 ml rye whiskey
- 60 ml St-Germain liqueur
- To serve: thin peach wedges macerated in rye whiskey and mint leaves (optional)
- 1Blanch peaches until just tender and skins start to split (1 minute), then drain. Remove skins (it’s okay if some flesh comes away too) and place them in a bowl with lemon juice. Stand until colour seeps from them (about a minute), then transfer to a blender along with peach flesh. Blend to a smooth purée, then transfer to a sterile bottle with tight lid and refrigerate until required. Purée will keep refrigerated for 2 days.
- 2Add ginger beer gradually (it will bubble up) along with the rye whiskey and St-Germain to chilled peach purée, then transfer to individual serving bottles, seal again and keep on ice ready to serve.
Note This recipe makes about 1.5 litres.