This is our summer version of Brazil's national cocktail, the Caipirinha. Try it on a Sunday afternoon while swinging in a hammock. After two or three glasses, though, you may wish to retire to the picnic rug.
- 8 yellow peaches, halved, stones removed, coarsely chopped to yield 800gm peach flesh
- 4 cups ice cubes
- of 4 limes, Juice
- 240 ml cachaça (see note)
- 110 gm brown sugar (½ cup firmly packed)
- crushed ice and zested rind of 1 lime, To serve
- 1Process all ingredients in a blender until smooth, pour into glasses filled with crushed ice, scatter with zested lime rind and serve immediately.
Cachaça is a rum-like spirit made from sugar cane. It's available from specialty bottle shops; if it's unavailable, substitute light rum.
This recipe is from the February 2012 issue of