- 400 gm caster sugar
- 5 cm piece of ginger, coarsely chopped
- 4 Packham pears, peeled, halved and cored using a melon baller
- To serve: pouring cream
- 105 gm plain flour
- 50 gm pure icing sugar
- 50 gm Dutch-processed cocoa powder, plus extra for dusting (½ cup)
- 60 gm unsalted butter, coarsely chopped
- 1 egg
- 100 gm dark chocolate (60% cocoa solids)
- 100 gm unsalted butter, coarsely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 100 gm caster sugar
- 80 gm plain flour (2/3 cup)
- 50 gm Dutch-processed cocoa powder (½ cup)
- 1For chocolate pastry, pulse flour, icing sugar, cocoa and a pinch of salt in a food processor to combine. Add butter and process until fine crumbs form. Add egg and 1 tbsp water and pulse until dough just comes together. Transfer to a lightly floured work surface, form into a disc, then wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm (about 1 hour).
- 2Combine sugar, ginger and 400ml water in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, add pear and cook until soft (5-7 minutes). Using a slotted spoon, remove pear and thickly slice each half lengthways on an angle. Set aside until required.
- 3Grease eight 9cm-brioche moulds and dust with cocoa. Divide pastry into 8 even pieces and roll each piece to approximately 12cm in diameter. Line moulds with pastry and trim excess. Refrigerate until firm and chilled (about 30 minutes).
- 4Preheat oven to 190C. Place moulds on a baking tray and bake for 10 minutes. Set aside. Reduce oven to 160C.
- 5Meanwhile, for chocolate filling, melt chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and sugar to combine. Add flour and cocoa, whisking to combine, then whisk in chocolate mixture. Using a plastic spatula, fold mixture until smooth and glossy. Divide among moulds and bake until tops begin to appear dry (30-35 minutes). Cool slightly, turn out moulds and serve topped with pear and cream.
Drink Suggestion: Tawny port. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Food NewsThe Melbourne bakery that pipes fresh cannoli to orderYesterday 4:00am