Fresh peas are wonderfully sweet and delicious. This recipe is all about doing their flavours justice.
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 golden shallots, finely chopped
- 550 gm podded peas (about 1.3kg unpodded)
- 300 ml chicken stock
- 1 lemon, zested rind only
- 40 gm thin lardo slices (about 8, see note)
- 1Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat, add shallot and sauté until tender (3-4 minutes). Add peas and stock, simmer until just tender (2-3 minutes). Stir through lemon rind, season to taste, spoon onto a serving platter and arrange lardo slices on top. Serve warm with trout.
Note Lardo is pork back fat that has been salted and cured. It's available from select delicatessens and Italian butchers.